Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
BY HARRIET CHIKANDIWA CIVIC society organisation, Zimbabwe Human Rights Association (ZimRights) has expressed concern over the sending of citizens to prisons and police holding cells for minor offences exposing them to the COVID-19 pandemic. The rights group also said such practice was also endangering the Zimbabwe Prison and Correctional Services workforce. This came after national police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi released a statement dated January 19, 2021, saying the police had arrested 2 336 people for offences related to the contraventions of the lockdown regulations. Of these, 890 had been arrested for unnecessary movement while 920 for failing to wear face masks. In a statement, ZimRights said the figures only provide a glimpse into the numbers of Zimbabweans that have been arrested for minor, including political opposition leaders and human rights defenders held at various police cells while others are in pre-trial incarceration exposing them to the pandemic. “ZimRights takes note that while law enforcement remains crucial, a distinction should be drawn between ordinary crime and offences occasioned by the imposition of the lockdown, especially during this difficult time that citizens have been asked to stay at home without the provision of social safety nets,” the organisation said in a statement yesterday. “ZimRights is concerned that the continued reckless detention of citizens, especially activists, for trivial crimes like tweeting, may now seem like a deliberate act to expose them to the COVID-19 pandemic,” the statement added. ZimRights urged the government to respect fundamental rights during this pandemic. “The government must desist from targeting human rights defenders and political opponents and throwing them into cells exposing them to contract COVID-19.” The lobby group added: “ZimRights urges the law enforcement arms of the government to consider using summons and written notices as the primary methods of bringing accused persons to court.” lFollow Harriet on Twitter @harrietchikand1
Announcement of the death of former President Rawlings pic.twitter.com/7ext0fp4sd
— Nana Akufo-Addo (@NAkufoAddo) November 12, 2020
Watch our report:
In the wake of confirmed in-store positive COVID-19 cases at Oakland and Berkeley locations, low wage Peet’s Coffee workers and ex-workers say they want the company to organize better safety measures. Since workers currently employed at Peet’s said they feared retaliation for speaking out, and ex-workers said they thought naming themselves could make securing new […]
The post Peet’s Workers in Oakland, Berkeley Exposed to Virus Seek Better COVID Policies first appeared on Post News Group.
Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Joe Biden clarified his message to Black America after the GOP, and others, seized on a remark he made in jest while wrapping up an interview with the famous Breakfast Club.
As the Breakfast Club interview wrapped and a Biden aide said he was running short on time, Charlamagne asked the former vice president to stop by the studio when Biden returns to New York.
“Vice President Biden spent his career fighting alongside and for the African American community.
In an interview with NNPA Newswire in February, Biden said the Black vote was critical to anyone with aspirations of winning in November.
Long-standing systemic inequalities are contributing to this disparity – including the fact that African Americans are more likely to be uninsured and to live in communities where they are exposed to high levels of air pollution,” Biden stated.
As Americans continue to try and manage life while fighting off the coronavirus, one question is on a
The post 'Second Wave' of Coronavirus: What is it How Long Will It Last? appeared first on BlackDoctor.org.
Married to Medicine star Mariah Huq is suing Bravo for discrimination and claims that the network refuses to pay her... View Article
The post ‘Married To Medicine’ star files discrimination lawsuit against Bravo appeared first on TheGrio.
A Kingston man who was deported to Jamaica some time ago, has been charged with a murder committed in April this year.\tThirty-six-year-old Lionel Davidson, otherwise called ‘Face’ of Hyslope Avenue, Kingston 2 has been charged with...