Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
The plan was also aimed at preventing further coups following a string of military takeovers that have destabilized the region, Nigeria’s Defense Minister Mohammed Badaru said.
He replaces Debretsion Gebremichael, whose immunity from prosecution was removed Thursday.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International said Thursday that scores of civilians were killed in a \"massacre\" in the Tigray region, that witnesses blamed on forces backing the local ruling party.
The \"massacre\" is the first reported incident of large-scale civilian fatalities in a week-old conflict between the regional ruling party, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), and the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize.
\"Amnesty International can today confirm... that scores, and likely hundreds, of people were stabbed or hacked to death in Mai-Kadra (May Cadera) town in the southwest of Ethiopia's Tigray Region on the night of 9 November,\" the rights group said in a report.
Amnesty said it had \"digitally verified gruesome photographs and videos of bodies strewn across the town or being carried away on stretchers.\"
The dead \"had gaping wounds that appear to have been inflicted by sharp weapons such as knives and machetes,\" Amnesty said, citing witness accounts.
Witnesses said the attack was carried out by TPLF-aligned forces after a defeat at the hands of the Ethiopian military, though Amnesty said it \"has not been able to confirm who was responsible for the killings\".
It nonetheless called on TPLF commanders and officials to \"make clear to their forces and their supporters that deliberate attacks on civilians are absolutely prohibited and constitute war crimes\".
Abiy ordered military operations in Tigray on November 4, saying they were prompted by a TPLF attack on federal military camps -- a claim the party denies.
The region has been under a communications blackout ever since, making it difficult to verify competing claims on the ground.
Abiy said Thursday his army had made major gains in western Tigray.
Thousands of Ethiopians have fled across the border into neighboring Sudan, and the UN is sounding the alarm about a humanitarian crisis in Tigray.
Although the majority of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in St.
The article Ministry considering COVID isolation facility in St Cuthbert’s appeared first on Stabroek News.
On Election Day, activist Cori Bush, who was once beaten and tear-gassed by police while participating in protests in Ferguson,... View Article
The post Missouri Rep-elect Cori Bush wears Breonna Taylor mask to Congress, GOP colleagues think it's her name appeared first on TheGrio.
The United Nations has called for urgent measures to protect civilians in northeastern Mozambique, who have fallen victim to an Islamist rebellion.
The jihadists attacked villages and killed several people in the Cabo Delgado province this week.
Rupert Colville is spokesman for the UN Human rights High Commissioner. He says the situation is now desperate.
\"The situation is desperate both for those trapped in conflict-affected areas, with barely any means of surviving, and for those displaced across the province and beyond. Those who remain have been left deprived of basic necessities and are at risk of being killed, sexually assaulted, abused, kidnapped, or forcibly recruited by armed groups\", Colville said.
The killing of civilians and clashes with security forces in various parts of Cabo Delgado province, have increased in recent weeks.
The UN sees the human rights situation \"increasingly alarming\".
Dozens of people are reported to have died and hundreds forced to flee their homes, the High Commissioner's office said.
According to the United Nations, over 350,000 people have been displaced due to violence in the region in the last three years.
It also said since October 16, more than 14,000 people have fled by sea. At least one boat has capsized, which is estimated to have killed about 40 people, including children. The Office of the High Commissioner fears that thousands more people are trapped in the conflict zones, many hiding for days.
The UN is also calling on Mozambican authorities to throw light on accusations of human rights violations against their security forces in recent years, including extrajudicial executions and ill-treatment.
By MARILYNN MARCHIONE AP Chief Medical Writer Temperature and COVID-19 symptom checks like the ones used at schools and doctor's offices have again proved inadequate for spotting coronavirus infections and preventing outbreaks. A study of Marine recruits found that despite these measures and strict quarantines before they started training, the recruits spread the virus to others even though hardly any of them had symptoms. None of the infections were caught through symptom screening. The study, published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, has implications for colleges, prisons, meatpacking plants and other places that rely on this sort of […]
The post Fever, symptom screening misses many coronavirus cases appeared first on Black News Channel.
Australia and New Zealand will play a trans-Tasman Super Rugby competition next year with five teams from each country competiting.
THE Zimbabwe Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company (ZETDC) is facing viability challenges, including acute transport problems to carry out its mandate. BY REX MPHISA ZETDC acting managing director Lovemore Chinaka said the problems were affecting the daily running of the country's power utility currently heavily reliant on hired vehicles at most of its stations. In a interview yesterday, Chinaka said some projects had been put on hold because of shortage of materials, but was optimistic his organisation would be on the rebound because it was mobilising resources. Chinaka could, however, not say off-hand the amount ZETDC needed to meet its power supply obligations. “We have serious challenges in transport that have affected our operations. We also need raw materials to carry out our work. I cannot say off-hand how much we need. We are mobilising resources required to meet demand,” he said. “Electrification of sections of Beitbridge is among our three major projects on plans. We have the transformers, but are still here in Harare. We should be moving to the ground, but we still need material for that project,” he said. The power utility has been struggling to supply the country with power, forcing people to destroy forests for firewood. ZETDC has in the recent past increased its tariffs attracting public outcry, but it maintains its charges were the lowest in the region. In September this year, Chinaka said the existing rate was approximately US0,02 per kilowatt hour instead of US0,10 cents per kWh at which the power utility can break even. Mobility in the exchange rates resulted in recurrent increases in imported electricity prices threatening Zesa’s viability. ZETDC blamed vandalism for its failure to power 100 000 households in the past five years. In 2017, ZETDC recorded 736 cases of theft and vandalism which in 2018 climbed to 766 and jumped to 1 178 last year. This year in July 498 cases had already been recorded.
By COLLIN BINKLEY Associated Press BOSTON (AP) — Harvard does not discriminate against Asian American applicants, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday in a decision that offers relief to other colleges that consider race in admissions, but also sets the stage for a potential review by an increasingly conservative U.S. Supreme Court. The decision came from two judges on the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston who rejected claims from an anti-affirmative action group that accused the Ivy League University of imposing a 'racial penalty' on Asian Americans. The judges upheld a previous ruling clearing Harvard of discrimination […]
The post Appeals court clears Harvard of racial bias in admissions appeared first on Black News Channel.
POLICE yesterday warned mourners and family of the late socialite and businessman Genius “Ginimbi” Kadungure, who died in a horror car accident in Harare on Sunday against flouting COVID-19 regulations during the funeral wake. BY WINSTONE ANTONIO “The Zimbabwe Republic Police implores the organisers of the funeral of the late Genius Kadungure to observe COVID-19 regulations, especially with regards to wearing of face masks, social distancing and the maintenance of law and order between 13th and 14th November,” said national police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi. He also ruled out a live music concert organised in honour of the socialite. “The organisers are reminded that under COVID-19 regulations, funerals are still restricted to not more than 100 people. Musical performances or concerts are prohibited. Mourners are therefore urged to observe the law for the safety of others and themselves,” he said. Ginimbi (36), died when his Rolls-Royce vehicle collided with a Honda Fit while driving back to his Domboshava home in the company of Limumba Karim, believed to be from Malawi, socialite Mitchel “Moana” Amuli and Alichia Adams from Mozambique. They all perished at the scene of the accident with Karim, Amuli and Adams burnt inside the car after Ginimbi was pulled out just before the vehicle went up in flames. The accident occurred while the quartet was coming from Moana’s 26th birthday party at Ginimbi’s Club Dreams, formerly Sankayi in Harare’s Avenues area. Close family members yesterday told NewsDay Life &Style that there was a tiff between Ginimbi’s ex-wife Zodwa Mkandla and her father-in-law Anderson over control of the funeral proceedings. “The clash was caused by the suggested all-white farewell. Zodwa knows many of Ginimbi’s friends so when they suggested to her that they wanted an all-white farewell for their friend in respect of his wishes as he used to say before his death, she agreed, but his father later turned it down,” the source said. “This is where all the problems started. The father said he was against the idea as it would appear to have endorsed what is in the public domain that those white parties were associated with some rituals that were being done by Ginimbi and friends.” “You know that old man is a no nonsense guy, he just said ‘no’ to that all-white dress cord on the burial as they were suggesting. He said he had heard a lot said about Ginimbi’s all white parties which were even hosted beyond the borders.” “The family said there will be no all-white party farewell and this has been communicated to Ginimbi’s friends. They have maintained that Ginimbi will be laid to rest according to our custom so no one will be asked to put on the all-white dress code,” the source said. Zodwa could not be reached for comment last night. Ginimbi’s burial is set for tomorrow at his million-dollar mansion in Domboshava near the capital Harare.
Good morning, California. It’s Friday, November 13. Some fights aren’t over Image via iStock California still has 1.2 million votes left to count from last week’s election, but the 2022 ballot is already taking shape — and some potential measures may fight 2020 battles all over again. When voters approved Proposition 22 — exempting Uber […]
The post 2020 rematches on 2022 ballot? appeared first on Black Voice News.
THE burial of the late popular comedian Lazarus “Gringo” Boora at his rural home in Rukweza, Rusape, yesterday was marred by chaotic scenes as the family clashed with members of the Johanne Masowe eChishanu apostolic sect, a religion he had converted to. BY KENNEDY NYAVAYA The celebrated entertainer, who succumbed to cancer on Monday morning at a private medical facility in the capital, was laid to rest at a cemetery close to his homestead. There was a clash of beliefs over funeral rites, between Gringo’s family and his apostolic church members who removed the corpse from the coffin before burial and barred graveside eulogies. Gringo’s wife and seven children are also members of Johanne Masowe eChishanu sect. This sparked an uproar that saw many disperse in protest. For the Rukweza villagers, they were there to pay last respects to Gringo, while for the artistes and fans it was time to celebrate his illustrious career, but his churchmates were there to bury the entertainer who had been rechristened Madzibaba Gadhirosi. “Before he died, (Gringo) he told us that we should not play drums at his funeral, but not what they are doing here. They removed the corpse from the coffin and we do not like it as his family apart from it being illegal,” Gringo’s brother, Harrison, said. The remorseless church members, however, could not bow to the family’s stance, maintaining that they were following Gringo’s church doctrine. In his speech at the burial, Youth, Sport, Arts and Recreation deputy minister Tinomudaishe Machakaire pledged support for the industry to avoid artistes turning into beggars whenever tragedy struck. “We have converged here for the funeral of our television star who not only entertained the citizens of this country, but all the way up to the President. I have heard the cries of the industry related to the status of their work and I promise that we will make efforts towards making their lives better,” he said. Among the mourners were musicians and creative stakeholders such as National Arts Council of Zimbabwe director Nicholas Moyo, actor-cum-singer Kapfupi, First Farai and Simon Mutambi. Members of the arts fraternity lauded Gringo’s contribution to the industry. “He worked very hard during his days and it is painful that at the time of his death he had not gained meaningful benefits from his work,” said Mbudziyadhura, who worked with him on many projects. Gweshe Gweshe said: “He was a very humble man and deserved better. I just hope that this is an eye-opener that we need more funding and ways to earn better as artists.” Gringo’s acting career began when he appeared on a TV commercial for Castle Lager and later worked for the now-defunct Joy TV where he appeared on some shows. He made a name for himself with the popular drama series Gringo, where he shared the platform with one of the country’s best actresses, the late Sthembeni Makawa who played the role of Mai Gweshe Gweshe. Gringo was arguably one of the best actors of his generation as he played the role of a notorious gardener who used unscrupulous means
Photo: Drew Angerer/Getty Images President-elect Joe Biden has joined dozens of transition workers and spans several federal agencies, in a sign of the comprehensive approach that Biden is planning to take to combat the worsening pandemic. The Covid-19 team has not yet […]
The post A new coronavirus team is due to be launched at the White House after Biden's inauguration appeared first on The New York Beacon.
In summary As the pandemic drags on into the winter, EDD blunders and slim unemployment benefits have left jobless Californians virtually fending for themselves. As coronavirus resurges 10 months into a devastating pandemic, many jobless Californians have exhausted their options and are hanging on to what little government support remains. Once padded by an extra […]
The post Expired unemployment boost, EDD debacles sink jobless Californians appeared first on Black Voice News.
Justice Samuel Alito said Thursday that protecting the right to free speech is one of the major tasks facing today’s Supreme Court.
Kat Stafford, Aaron Morrison and Angeliki Kastanis | Associated Press Power. Respect. Finally. When Eric Sheffield first saw Joe Biden take the lead in the vote count in Georgia, the 52-year-old Black man immediately thought about all the years he spent urging his Black friends and family to vote and all the times he saw […]
The post 'This is Proof': Biden's Win Reveals Power of Black Voters appeared first on Black Voice News.
COVID-19 was the cause of canceling a slew of events this year but not the Super Bowl halftime show. The... View Article
The post The Weeknd to perform 2021 Super Bowl halftime show: 'I'm humbled' appeared first on TheGrio.
A MUTARE woman is facing murder charges after stabbing her sister’s nine-month-old baby accusing her of crying non-stop. BY KENNETH NYANGANI The accused Natasha Mugwenjere (32) yesterday appeared before Mutare magistrate Prisca Manhibi who remanded her in custody to November 23. The court was told that Mugwenjere was a mental patient. The State alleges that on November 9, Charlotte Muromba left her daughter in the custody of the accused. The mother of the now-deceased had reportedly gone to fetch water at a nearby borehole. The baby reportedly began to cry and this irritated the accused, who stabbed her twice on the chest with a knife. When Charlotte came back, she found her baby bleeding. They rushed her to Mutare Provincial Hospital where she was pronounced dead upon arrival.