Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has backed the call by US President Joe Biden to put pressure on China to release raw data relating to the outbreak of the coronavirus disease. Johnson’s backing comes as Washington raised concerns over the possibility of the Chinese government’s interference in the recent investigation by the World Health Organisation into the origins of COVID-19 in Wuhan. In an interview with Face the Nation/CBS News broadcast on Sunday, Johnson said it is vital to get to bottom of how the pandemic originated. “One of the things we’ll be calling for in the G7, which President Biden is going to be joining, I’m glad to say, is the global coordination in getting to the bottom of what happens with these diseases. So when you have a zoonotic plague like the coronavirus, we need to know exactly how it happened,” Johnson said in an interview with CBS News. He added, “Indeed if it’s zoonotic if it really originated from human contact with the animal kingdom, that’s what is asserted. But we need to know exactly what happened. Was it in a wet market? Did it come from the bats? Were the bats associated with the pangolins? All these questions are now matters of speculation. We need to see the data. We need to see all the evidence. So, I thoroughly support what President Biden has said about that.” This comes after Jake Sullivan, US National Security Adviser said that Washington has “deep concerns about the way in which the early findings of the COVID-19 investigation were communicated and questions about the process used to reach them.” He stressed on the importance of an investigation that is “free from intervention or alteration by the Chinese government” into the origin of COVID-19. While Biden has moved to re-join the WHO, the US had recently refused to accept the latest findings by the global health body and said it will independently verify the results using its own intelligence. Weeks after a team of WHO experts launched a probe into the origin of the COVID-19 in Wuhan, the global health body said that there is no evidence of coronavirus circulation in any animal species in China. - (ANI)
He replaces Debretsion Gebremichael, whose immunity from prosecution was removed Thursday.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International said Thursday that scores of civilians were killed in a \"massacre\" in the Tigray region, that witnesses blamed on forces backing the local ruling party.
The \"massacre\" is the first reported incident of large-scale civilian fatalities in a week-old conflict between the regional ruling party, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), and the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize.
\"Amnesty International can today confirm... that scores, and likely hundreds, of people were stabbed or hacked to death in Mai-Kadra (May Cadera) town in the southwest of Ethiopia's Tigray Region on the night of 9 November,\" the rights group said in a report.
Amnesty said it had \"digitally verified gruesome photographs and videos of bodies strewn across the town or being carried away on stretchers.\"
The dead \"had gaping wounds that appear to have been inflicted by sharp weapons such as knives and machetes,\" Amnesty said, citing witness accounts.
Witnesses said the attack was carried out by TPLF-aligned forces after a defeat at the hands of the Ethiopian military, though Amnesty said it \"has not been able to confirm who was responsible for the killings\".
It nonetheless called on TPLF commanders and officials to \"make clear to their forces and their supporters that deliberate attacks on civilians are absolutely prohibited and constitute war crimes\".
Abiy ordered military operations in Tigray on November 4, saying they were prompted by a TPLF attack on federal military camps -- a claim the party denies.
The region has been under a communications blackout ever since, making it difficult to verify competing claims on the ground.
Abiy said Thursday his army had made major gains in western Tigray.
Thousands of Ethiopians have fled across the border into neighboring Sudan, and the UN is sounding the alarm about a humanitarian crisis in Tigray.
By MARILYNN MARCHIONE AP Chief Medical Writer Temperature and COVID-19 symptom checks like the ones used at schools and doctor's offices have again proved inadequate for spotting coronavirus infections and preventing outbreaks. A study of Marine recruits found that despite these measures and strict quarantines before they started training, the recruits spread the virus to others even though hardly any of them had symptoms. None of the infections were caught through symptom screening. The study, published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, has implications for colleges, prisons, meatpacking plants and other places that rely on this sort of […]
The post Fever, symptom screening misses many coronavirus cases appeared first on Black News Channel.
New Delhi - The Indian government has amended its rules to bring streaming platforms and digital news outlets under the purview of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, which already regulates television programs and movie, [...]
For just the second time in more than seven decades, a Democrat will carry Arizona in a presidential election, a monumental shift for a state that was once a Republican stronghold. CNN projected on Thursday that President-elect Joe Biden will carry Arizona, defeating President Donald Trump and providing Democrats in Arizona and the universe of allied grassroots organizations in the […]
As agriculture and food systems across Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) try to recover from the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, policymakers must act to unleash the sector’s vast potential to drive sustainable and inclusive growth for...
BRASILIA, (Reuters) - A consortium of Chinese companies signed a contract with the government of Brazil’s Bahia state yesterday to build a 12-kilometer (7.5-mile) bridge across the entrance of the bay opposite the city of Salvador.
The article Chinese companies to build largest bridge in Brazil appeared first on Stabroek News.
By NOHA ELHENNAWY Associated Press CAIRO (AP) — At least 74 migrants drowned after their Europe-bound ship capsized off the coast of Libya on Thursday, the U.N.'s migration agency said, in the latest in a series of at least eight shipwrecks in the Central Mediterranean since last month. The boat was carrying over 120 migrants, including women and children, when it capsized off the coast of the Libyan port of al-Khums, said the International Organization for Migration. Only 47 people were rescued by the Libyan coast guard and fishermen and brought to shore. So far 31 bodies were retrieved as […]
The post UN migration agency: 74 drown after boat capsizes near Libya appeared first on Black News Channel.
Just in time for the Holidays, Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey follows toymaker Jeronicus Jangle (played by Forest Whitaker). Narrated by Phylicia Rashad as she shares the Christmas story with her grandchildren, Jeronicus Jangle is betrayed by an apprentice, played by Keegan-Michael Key, who steals his most prized invention. Coupled with losing his wife, Jangle … Continued
The post New Film, 'Jingle Jangle', has a Holiday Message The World can Relate To. appeared first on New Pittsburgh Courier.
More than 100 students across the parish of Clarendon were gifted with tablets, courtesy of the James and Friends Education Programme on Wednesday. Founder of the organisation, Otis James, told The Gleaner that the programme caters to almost 200...
For months now, soon-to-be-Former President Donald Trump has called into question the democratic process that lies at the heart of our representative democracy. He has been joined in this scurrilous attack on the nation's electoral process by fellow Republican lawmakers who seem to be more loyal to him than to the nation. In deciding the […]
The post The Republic Under Assault appeared first on The Orlando Advocate.
We are in now the third wave of COVID-19, and we need to get prepared for a potential shut down again on some levels. The Corona is not through with us yet, so it’s vitally important that we keep our bodies moving now for so many reasons! Full transparency—it has been wonderful to be back […]
The post Find a Move that Fits Your Flow! appeared first on BlackDoctor.org.
COVID, the laptops and the cable
President Donald James Trump has certainly succeeded in making the American elections of November 03 “far from over.”
The article Concerning two over-70 Presidents appeared first on Stabroek News.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness yesterday defended his decision to approve a mining licence for land in Discovery Bay, St Ann that environmentalists insist should be protected.Holness entered the raging debate during an address at the official opening and dedication ceremony of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security building in St Ann and via a statement from his office.
By Word in Black Remote or distance learning in the age of COVID-19 continues to be an enormous challenge for teachers and parents as they try to meet the needs of each and every student. For the 7 million pupils with special needs and or learning disabilities, it’s even more imperative that resources and methodology […]
The post Remote learning, special needs students face particular challenges as education systems adapt in pandemic appeared first on Afro.
President-elect Joe Biden has promised to fight the student loan debt crisis plaguing 37 million Americans, and some are divided on if he can pull it off
In this week’s Defender… Joe Biden vows to do right by the Black community after his historic victory with Kamala Harris. Find out what his plan is to “Lift Every Voice.” Defender Managing Editor ReShonda Tate Billingsley takes on President Trump after refusing to acknowledge Biden’s victory as COVID-19 numbers continue to rise. The doors […]
The post November 12, 2020 appeared first on DefenderNetwork.com.
Joe Biden's electoral victory has revived the American Dream for scores of African LGBT+ refugees who fled persecution at home only to languish in Kenya when President Donald Trump denied them a fresh start in the United States.
COVID-19 has forced many non-profit organizations to adjust how they are raising money and how they are assisting the many people in need. During this 2020 gala season, nearly all fund raisers have been canceled, which for many organizations, would be their largest of the year. Houston Texans’ outside linebacker, Whitney Mercilus, and his WithMerci […]
The post Houston Texans' Whitney Mercilus raises $70K through virtual fundraiser appeared first on DefenderNetwork.com.
Dr Henroy Scarlett of the Jamaica Association of Public Health Inspectors (JAPHI) and The University of the West Indies, Mona campus, is now the president-elect of the International Federation of Environmental Health (IFEH). The JAPHI said the...
HAVANA, (Reuters) - As Latin American nations test experimental coronavirus vaccines from across the globe and economic heavyweights such as Brazil and Mexico jockey for supply deals with major drugmakers, Communist-run Cuba already has two of its own vaccines in clinical trials.
The article Cuba leads race for Latin American coronavirus vaccine appeared first on Stabroek News.
… programs that most effectively support African American-owned businesses.
The Community … the program and lend to African American-owned businesses and other … underserved communities.
Increase opportunities for African American-owned businesses to obtain or …
To the disappointment of many in Houston's Black community, the Houston ISD Board of Trustees voted against giving interim superintendent Dr. Grenita Lathan the permanent job, opting instead on a nationwide search to fill the role. The board voted 6-3 against naming Lathan HISD's superintendent, removing the interim tag. With the move, HISD effectively decided […]
The post HISD board chooses not to name Dr. Grenita Lathan permanent superintendent appeared first on DefenderNetwork.com.
Although the majority of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in St.
The article Ministry considering COVID isolation facility in St Cuthbert’s appeared first on Stabroek News.
… the state of Michigan. Although African Americans are the largest racial minority … 15% of Michiganders are African American, but in April, African Americans accounted for over …
AirBoss of America Corp. (TSX: BOS) (the \"Company\" or \"AirBoss\"), a diversified manufacturer of rubber compound products and personal protective equipment,
Three Guinean opposition figures surrendered to the police on Thursday after being put on a wanted list for their alleged role in post-election violence, one of their lawyers said.
Officers questioned Ousmane Gaoual Diallo, Abdoulaye Bah - both members of Guinea's leading opposition party, UFDG - and Etienne Soropogui separately, lawyer Salifou Beavogui said.
Police on Wednesday also arrested UFDG vice president Ibrahima Cherif Bah as part of a sweep targeting mainly opposition politicians and activists.
At a press conference on Thursday, opposition leader Cellou Diallo called for their immediate release.
The arrests came after President Alpha Conde, 82, won a controversial third term after topping an October 18 poll with 59.5 percent of the votes.
The country slipped into violence in the aftermath of the poll, when UFDG leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, 68, proclaimed himself victorious and alleged voter fraud.
The government said at least 21 people died in subsequent clashes between Diallo supporters and security forces. The UFDG party put the death toll at 46, however.
While observers from other African countries have backed the official election results, France, the European Union, and the United States have cast doubt.
In a statement on Tuesday, a public prosecutor in the capital Conakry said police had detained or tried 137 people.
It said police were actively searching for six people accused of having made \"threats likely to disturb public security and order\".
Ousmane Gaoual Diallo, Abdoulaye Bah, and Etienne Soropogui were among those six people. Only Soropogui, who is from a minor opposition party, is not a UFDG member.
Ibrahima Cherif Bah was also on the wanted list.
Political tension in Guinea centers on Conde's third term, against which there have been rolling protests since October 2019.
The president pushed through a new constitution in March which he argued would modernize the country. But it also allowed him to bypass a two-term limit for presidents.
A former opposition leader, Conde became Guinea's first democratically-elected president in 2010 and won re-election in 2015, but critics accuse him of veering towards authoritarianism.
He also says Republicans’ complacency is dangerous.