Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
For the third Vogue World event, following a New York street fair in 2022 and a tribute to London’s theater scene in 2023, the show dovetailed with the Paris Games — celebrating all things French and runway
He replaces Debretsion Gebremichael, whose immunity from prosecution was removed Thursday.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International said Thursday that scores of civilians were killed in a \"massacre\" in the Tigray region, that witnesses blamed on forces backing the local ruling party.
The \"massacre\" is the first reported incident of large-scale civilian fatalities in a week-old conflict between the regional ruling party, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), and the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize.
\"Amnesty International can today confirm... that scores, and likely hundreds, of people were stabbed or hacked to death in Mai-Kadra (May Cadera) town in the southwest of Ethiopia's Tigray Region on the night of 9 November,\" the rights group said in a report.
Amnesty said it had \"digitally verified gruesome photographs and videos of bodies strewn across the town or being carried away on stretchers.\"
The dead \"had gaping wounds that appear to have been inflicted by sharp weapons such as knives and machetes,\" Amnesty said, citing witness accounts.
Witnesses said the attack was carried out by TPLF-aligned forces after a defeat at the hands of the Ethiopian military, though Amnesty said it \"has not been able to confirm who was responsible for the killings\".
It nonetheless called on TPLF commanders and officials to \"make clear to their forces and their supporters that deliberate attacks on civilians are absolutely prohibited and constitute war crimes\".
Abiy ordered military operations in Tigray on November 4, saying they were prompted by a TPLF attack on federal military camps -- a claim the party denies.
The region has been under a communications blackout ever since, making it difficult to verify competing claims on the ground.
Abiy said Thursday his army had made major gains in western Tigray.
Thousands of Ethiopians have fled across the border into neighboring Sudan, and the UN is sounding the alarm about a humanitarian crisis in Tigray.
JOE BIDEN WINS 2020 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION — A COURIER SPECIAL REPORT by Rob Taylor Courier Staff Writer When they said “every vote counts,” nowhere was that more accurate than right here in Pennsylvania. Specifically, Allegheny County, where the African American vote was instrumental in putting Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden over the top, and sending … Continued
The post Black Pittsburgh plays critical role in 2020 Presidential Election appeared first on New Pittsburgh Courier.
Kat Stafford, Aaron Morrison and Angeliki Kastanis | Associated Press Power. Respect. Finally. When Eric Sheffield first saw Joe Biden take the lead in the vote count in Georgia, the 52-year-old Black man immediately thought about all the years he spent urging his Black friends and family to vote and all the times he saw […]
The post 'This is Proof': Biden's Win Reveals Power of Black Voters appeared first on Black Voice News.
By Stacy M. Brown, NNPA Newswire Senior National Correspondent Led by Rudy Giuliani, lawyers for President Donald Trump have continued to claim without evidence that the 2020 Presidential Election has been rife with fraud, specifically in places like Philadelphia, Clark County, Nevada, and Fulton County, Georgia. It’s no coincidence that those three areas, comprised overwhelmingly of African American voters, are targets of misinformation and outright false allegations by the Trump campaign. Those three areas are largely credited with pushing President-Elect Joe Biden to victory, as they were the last of the battleground and swing states to project a winner and […]
The post Legal Experts Suggest Trump’s Lawyers on Verge of Committing Litigation Crimes appeared first on Black News Channel.
BY LORRAINE MUROMO The Zimbabwe Gender Commission (ZGC) has condemned the brutal murder of four children in Chivhu by their biological mother following a dispute. On Wednesday, 29-year-old Emelda Marazani slit her four children’s throats and set the family house on fire following a dispute with her husband over infidelity. She attempted to commit suicide after callously killing her daughters aged nine, five, three and one. In a statement, ZGC chairperson for social, cultural and religious issues, Sibongile Mauye, said: “We are saddened by the sad loss of innocent children who are victims of potential marital conflict between the mother of the children and the father,” Mauye said. “We condemn criminal behaviour exhibited by the mother of the children and we are concerned that she took an option to murder innocent children for reasons still unknown. “We implore families to resolve marital disputes in amicable ways recognising that both traditional and legal means of recourse are available.” She added: “As Gender Commission, we stand for equal rights for men women and children. “We are bound by the Bill of Rights; we therefore condemn the brutal killing of innocent children by their biological mother.” Shamwari YeMwanasikana research, advocacy and communications co-ordinator Louis Tatswareyi encouraged couples to resolve disputes amicably. “We feel saddened by the loss of innocent lives as a result of failure by the couple to resolve their infidelity issues. Since the beginning of the lockdown, such cases of murder due to infidelity have been on the increase. It is sad that the killings happened as we approach the 16 days of activism against gender-based violence,” he said. “We continue urging men and women to find amicable ways to solve their issues and most importantly, leave children out of their problems. The parents should be havens of safety for their children no matter what the circumstance should be.”
CHURCHES and residents in Bulawayo yesterday expressed displeasure over a proposed Bill which seeks to enable access to reproductive healthcare services by young people from the age of 12 years. BY PRAISEMORE SITHOLE Church leaders and residents expressed reservations yesterday during a consultative meeting convened by the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Health and Child Care to gather public views on the Bill . Zimbabwe Christian Alliance representative Mehlokazulu Ncube said the proposed Bill would affect innocent children. “This thing is against the Constitution of Zimbabwe and my question is why is Parliament pushing such an agenda? We elected parliamentarians to stand for us and it is their duty to deny such Bills which do not promote ubuntu and are against the Constitution,” Ncube said. “What have they done as parliamentarians to educate children and if this Bill is passed, where are they going to get money to buy these things when as a country we have a serious deficit?” A resident, Patricia Chininge, said most of the parents were not helping their children with issues of reproduction. “The society morality has broken down from parents to children and now there are so many child-headed families, but as a society and the government, we have failed to help those children and they end up being exposed to sex and other things,” she said. “Is giving children this type of education the only solution? I am totally against the Bill. Let’s rise up as the society, as the government as the people and find a solution to deal with this problem. The problem is that children are having sex at an early stage. There is no guidance, there is no education, so let’s bring better ways to deal with that.” Baptist Union of Zimbabwe member Godwin Moyo said the Bill seemed to put everything in one basket. “There are problems that are there concerning early pregnancies, child-headed families, but the solution is the one that we are saying no to,” he said. Nkulumane MP Kucaca Phulu said people had not properly understood the Bill. “The young people are having their own angle of understanding and the elderly are having their own interpretation. So, I wish to get time and have more discussions with both the youths and the elderly,” he said. Former Health and Child Care minister David Parirenyatwa said they were sent by Parliament to gather public views. “As you can see, most of the parents and churches are saying ‘no, 12 years is still too young, they are too immature. We are really leading them into child prostitution’ and they are also challenging the age of consent,” he said. “The youths are saying, ‘let everyone have reproductive healthcare’ and so this is the discussion we were having. The parents’ morale is very low and parents have been complaining that not enough consultation was done. We should have consulted teachers, churches, parents and youths separately and I agree with them.”
by Barrington M. Salmon For New Pittsburgh Courier (TriceEdneyWire.com)—After four years of feeling under siege from a racially hostile White House and after a week spent awaiting the results of a nail-biter election, supporters of former Vice President Joe Biden finally exhaled when it became clear that President Donald Trump was booted from office. Black … Continued
The post President-elect Biden praises Black vote for historic win, firing of Donald Trump appeared first on New Pittsburgh Courier.
narvikk/iStockBy MORGAN WINSOR, EMILY SHAPIRO, IVAN PEREIRA and MEREDITH DELISO, ABC News (NEW YORK) - A pandemic of the novel coronavirus has now killed more than 1.29 million people worldwide.…
CARACAS, (Reuters) - Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodriguez and the head of the South American country’s state oil company, PDVSA, arrived in Russia to “deepen strategic alliances,” Venezuela’s information ministry said yesterday.
The article Venezuela VP, PDVSA chief travel to Russia to ‘deepen ties’ appeared first on Stabroek News.
By Laurel Rosenhall, CALMatters California’s status has shifted dramatically with the election of Joe Biden as the next president. The reasons are both political — deep blue California will have more inroads to a White House controlled by Democrats — and personal: For just the second time in American history, a Californian will serve as […]
The post Home State Advantage: What a Vice President Kamala Harris means for California appeared first on Voice and Viewpoint.
S.E. Williams It made national news when Texas reached the alarming milestone of one million COVID-19 infections on Wednesday, November 11 and it took only one additional day for California to join the lone star state as a member of the one-million-coronavirus-case club—a group no other state wants to join. Although it was just a […]
The post With One Million Cases and Counting in California, COVID Widespread in IE appeared first on Black Voice News.
BY NATASHA FROST RATE.COM Unemployment benefits could be running out for many of the 33 million Americans who’ve been laid off, had their hours slashed or otherwise lost ground to the pandemic. Landlords are suing to overturn the evictions moratorium. And rather than quietly die off — and signal a return to more normal economic […]
The post Amazon, Walmart among companies hiring in Florida appeared first on Florida Courier.
By Stacy M. Brown - “Especially for those moments when this campaign was at its lowest — the African-American community stood up again for me. They always have my back, and I’ll have yours.” — [...]
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER AP Economics Writer WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. is starting the 2021 budget year the way the old year ended, with soaring deficits. The Treasury Department reported Thursday that the federal government ran up a record October deficit of $284.1 billion, nearly double the red ink of the same month a year ago, as revenues declined while spending to deal with the impact of the coronavirus soared. The October deficit was almost double the $134.5 billion deficit logged in October 2019. It smashed the previous October record of a $176 billion deficit set in 2009, when the […]
The post US piles up record October budget deficit of $284.1 billion appeared first on Black News Channel.
[Nation] More than 10 clubs in the Coast have been shut down for flouting the Ministry of Health guidelines that seek to combat the spread of Covid-19.
By RUSS BYNUM Associated Press BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — The man who fatally shot Ahmaud Arbery had previously used racial slurs in a text message and on social media, a prosecutor said Thursday as a judge weighed whether to grant bond for the defendant and his father. Travis McMichael and his father, Gregory McMichael, have been jailed since their arrests in May, more than two months after Arbery was slain. The McMichaels, who are white, chased and fatally shot the 25-year-old Black man after they spotted him running in their neighborhood just outside the port city of Brunswick. Questions about […]
The post Prosecutors read racist messages by Ahmaud Arbery's killer appeared first on Black News Channel.
Figures released by Statistics New Zealand place South Africans as the third-largest group of migrants to the country for the year ending September 2020.
Post-Electoral Crisis
Violence erupted in many parts of Côte d'Ivoire after the Constitutional Council officially validated on November 9 the re-election of President Alassane Ouattara for a controversial third term.
However, the political unrest in the small landlocked city of M'Batto was exacerbated by circulating false information. Dr Jean Serge Kouassi Kouassi, the director of the M'Batto hospital, shares his insight into the situation of the ground, \"When this information arrived on social media, the phone calls rained down on us to find out if it was true and what was going on. So that's it. Everyone reassured their parents stating that there were indeed skirmishes here, there were shootings and we could hear shots, and we would send the wounded to the hospital.\"
Problematic Fake News
M'Batto fell victim to fictitious gendarmerie reports and press releases about so-called fatalities — as well as misleading and inappropriate images trending online. All of which did not help the already tense political atmosphere. Abdoulaye Konaté, a teacher, outlines what was really happening to contribute to the regional tension, \"The rumours were: such and such shop was burned, so and so was killed, so every time one of the parties heard, everyone wanted revenge, so that's what made the situation even worse. It was the rumours themselves that made the situation worse.\"
Inter-ethnic Friction
An opposition demonstration degenerated into inter-community clashes between Agni (local ethnic group reputed pro-opposition) and Dioula (an ethnic group from the north reputed pro-Ouattara). The electoral unrest saw the loss of six lives. Nanan Béda Kadio II, the Chief of the Agnikro district, expressed his peaceful stance,
\"We don't want war here. We have been here for several years, there is no war between us. Before this year, we had never seen anything like this. So I wouldn't like it to happen again. I want peace in my village of M'Batto.\"
Armed forces have now been stationed across the city of 50,000 inhabitants to prevent any further confrontation and many shops have been closed.
President of the Jamaica Coffee Exporters Association (JCEA)Norman Grant is seeking Government intervention to the tune of $200 million for a recovery programme for the country's coffee farmers.According to Grant, during a recent meeting of the JCEA, Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries Floyd Green committed to contributing $80 million to the coffee recovery programme through the Jamaica Agricultural Commodity Regulatory Authority.
Black policy leaders will play a pivotal role in President-elect Joe Biden’s transition, marking one of the most diverse agency... View Article
The post Key role for Black policy leaders on Biden's transition team appeared first on TheGrio.
Time is operating out for thousands and thousands of People who nonetheless have not gotten stimulus checks they usually’re probably the folks most in want.The Inside Income Service is racing…
As confirmed coronavirus cases continue to rise throughout Maryland and the D.C. region, Prince George's County Executive Angela Alsobrooks announced an executive order Thursday her jurisdiction will reinstitute certain restrictions.
For months now, soon-to-be-Former President Donald Trump has called into question the democratic process that lies at the heart of our representative democracy. He has been joined in this scurrilous attack on the nation's electoral process by fellow Republican lawmakers who seem to be more loyal to him than to the nation. In deciding the […]
The post The Republic Under Assault appeared first on The Orlando Advocate.
In summary Gov. Newsom should recognize the importance of the Latino community and appoint the first Latino or Latina senator from California. By Claudia Medina, Special to CalMatters Claudia Medina is the founding member of the Latino Community Foundation’s East Bay Latina Giving Circle, claudia.medina4education@gmail.com. Come January, California’s own Kamala Harris will make history as […]
The post It’s time for the first Latino senator from California appeared first on Black Voice News.