Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
Maryland's daily toll of new coronavirus cases fell below 1,000 on Monday for the first time in nearly a week, one of a handful of metrics trending in the right direction for the state.
The post Maryland's COVID Cases, Positivity Rate Dropping appeared first on The Washington Informer.
Many people have been killed since clashes began on Monday. Scores too had been killed in the run up to the vote as protestors marched against Conde's bid for a third term.
BY VANESSA GONYE THE Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Women Affairs has said the government lacks commitment in the fight against gender-based violence (GBV) and relies on third parties for knowledge on the matter. This was revealed in a report by the committee on the 2021 national budget, which was presented recently in the National Assembly by Bacillia Majaya (MDC Alliance). Majaya said although Treasury supported most of the bids for GBV programmes, the unallocated bit amounting to $15 million could have gone a long way in supporting such programmes. “In its response to GBV, the government has had to rely on statistics from partners about GBV due to lack of own support services in the form of one-stop centres,” Majaya said. “The need for institutional support services for GBV can never be overstated. Treasury needs to consider a budget towards the construction of one-stop centres starting with Chipinge and Matabeleland North. An allocation of $15 million will close the existing resource gap for one-stop centres.” Majaya said in areas hit by national disasters such as Cyclone Idai, there were no plans to cater for GBV survivors. She said more women failed to access GBV services while others needed direct support from the government. As at November 21 2020, Musasa Project recorded 37 152 cases of GBV, but many cases go unreported. lFollow Vanessa on Twitter @vanessa_gonye
N.Y. Gov. Andrew Cuomo has announced beginning Wednesday, vaccinated New Yorkers will no longer be required to wear face masks in most settings
George Floyd is sadly one of many, many African Americans who have been the victim of racial profiling and brutality.
Two men participating in that march — Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and UAW President Walter Reuther — were dedicated to breaking the color lines and fighting for equality in wages, opportunities, housing, healthcare and fair societal treatment.
Because of socioeconomic and environmental factors — many due to continued disparity in opportunities — when COVID-19 struck this country it hit people of color especially hard.
The task force will act in an advisory capacity to the Governor and study the causes of racial disparities in the impact of COVID-19 and recommend actions to immediately address such disparities and the historical and systemic inequities that underlie them.
When we look at the many tragic incidents over the past decades, most recently Mr. Floyd’s horrific death, I can only think that we as a nation failed this young man, as we have failed so many others.
[Nation] Kenya's Lilian Chemweno finished second in the Nedbank Runified: Breaking Barriers ultra-marathon 50 kilometres race in Port Elizabeth, South Africa Sunday.
BY PRAISEMORE SITHOLE A NON-GOVERNMENTAL organisation is targeting to generate at least 3 328 jobs for smallholder farmers in Zimbabwe as a COVID-19 mitigation strategy. The organisation, Hand in Hand Zimbabwe (HIHZIM) specialises in capacitating marginalised people in rural communities, particularly women and the youths to create better livelihoods for themselves and their families. The organisation intends to achieve this through imparting skills where they undergo training for six months on a six modular business development programme. The organisation has since 2015, created 13 187 jobs for community members in rural Zimbabwe. HIHZIM chief executive Felix Tete told NewsDay that the organisation would continue to support rural small-holder farmers through job creation, to ensure food security and improved household incomes during the COVID-19 pandemic. “Since 2015, we have created 13 187 jobs for villagers in rural Zimbabwe. This year, we are targeting to create 3 328 jobs to empower small-holder farmers so that they can mitigate the effects of the pandemic,” Tete said. “This drive aims to create productive employment opportunities for rural folks so as to alleviate poverty within their communities, which is being worsened by the deadly pandemic. Unemployment lies at the core of poverty. For the vulnerable rural populace, labour is often the only asset they can use to improve their wellbeing.” Tete said the creation of productive employment opportunities was essential for achieving poverty reduction and sustainable socio-economic development. “The impact of COVID-19 on rural people has been brutal as measures to limit the spread of the pandemic have led to restrictions in trade and movement. This has prevented entrepreneurs from accessing markets to sell their produce and to buy inputs.” Edith Mahu (62), a member of a thriving garden that HIHZIM supports in Shurugwi district said the organisation had greatly aided her and 17 other members of the project. “The earnings from the horticultural venture have enabled us to taste financial freedom. We were living in abject poverty, but HIHZIM came and gave us hope. I can only imagine how we were also going to survive during this COVID-19 phase. “Monetary challenges are now a thing of the past for us. During COVID-19, we are still selling our produce to the local markets and getting money.' The organisation is presently supporting communities in seven districts, namely Bulilima, Chikomba, Chirumanzu, Gwanda, Lupane, Nkayi and Shurugwi. Follow Praisemore on Twitter@TPraisemore
Herman Cain, a 2012 Republican presidential candidate and former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, has died from coronavirus. Cain, 74, was hospitalized at an Atlanta-area hospital in early July after he … Continued
The post Former pizza CEO Herman Cain dies from coronavirus appeared first on Atlanta Daily World.
Still in Position
Akinwumi Adesina - a 60-year-old former Nigerian agriculture minister, was unanimously re-elected to serve as the President of the African Development Bank (AfDB) for a second term of five years.
The winning and only candidate, over an exceptional annual meeting held via a video conference call, thanked his peers, \"We also made history by re-electing me by 100% vote, via a vote I became the first president of the bank in its history to be re-elected by a 100% vote of all its shareholders and I am most grateful and appreciative.\"
Alleged Corruption
Grateful indeed, as events over recent months saw this same re-elected president of the AfDB facing accusations of corruption and favouritism - of which, he has since been exonerated following an internal inquiry by the bank's ethics committee Amadou Hott, the Senegalese finance minister and AfDB board of governors member, shared some words, \"In this regard, and in the spirit of unity and collaboration, we authorize the creation of an ad hoc committee of the Board of Governors to oversee the review of the Bank's governance framework for ethics and complaints handling.\"
In spite of the affair, the bank - although its reputation did take a hit, managed to maintain its triple-A evaluation from the rating agencies.
The son of a farming family, in 2015 he became the first Nigerian to head the bank, one of the world's five biggest multilateral lenders and an important but often unseen player in economic development.
He gained continent-wide recognition last October when the AfDB secured $115 billion (105 billion euros) in funding pledges, a move that doubled its capital and cemented its triple-A credit rating.
Post-Pandemic Anticipated Recession
The 56-year-old institution estimates that Africa could lose at least $173 billion (147 billion euros) in GDP in 2020 and $236 billion in 2021 as a result of the economic fallout from the Covid-19 crisis. The bank set up a coronavirus funding mechanism up to $10 billion in April. Adesina has five years to revive the continent's economies, which are feeling the weight of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Mississippi Legislative Black Caucus is asking for $457 million from Coronavirus monies and $100 million endowment for HBCUs – Alcorn, Jackson State, Mississippi Valley State, Tougaloo, Rust, Coahoma and Utica Branch of Hinds.
The caucus proposes CARES Act funds be used to help minority institutions of higher learning meet Coronavirus challenges, to assist businesses of color and to provide African-American communities with needed resources.
HBCUs COVID-19 assistance in the amount of $100,000,000 for Jackson State University, Alcorn State University, Mississippi Valley State University, Rust College, Tougaloo College, Coahoma and Utica Branch of Hinds Community Colleges to assist in their response to the public health issues created by the Coronavirus pandemic.
Endowment Scholarship Fund for medical doctors and pharmacists in the amount of $30,000,000 to provide incentives for health professionals to reside, start businesses and practice in rural areas and/or African-American communities – areas heavily impacted by
COVID-19.
Mississippi Valley State University in the amount of $10,000,000 to implement a Broadband and Distance Learning Program.
[SAnews.gov.za] With the vaccination rollout programme in full swing, Gauteng province has reached yet another milepost.
The diplomats who met Nyong'o were Chol Ajongo (S Sudan), Ashish Sinha (Unep and UN-Habitat) and Gerald Ockotch (South Africa).
More than ever, businesses and consumers need to start with trust
COVID-19 has put more stress on consumers and businesses than ever before, and scammers are still using every ruse they can to swindle people.
The Better Business Bureau conducted a pulse survey over 1,300 accredited businesses and recently published “A Comprehensive Report on the Impact of COVID-19 on Business.”
Findings from the survey included:
The briefing also touched on ways consumers can help support small businesses:
A second briefing, released last week, showed that scammers are capitalizing on the fact that many consumers were forced to stay inside in April.
Additionally, if the above scams weren’t enough – The Federal Trade Commission is warning consumers about another new scam to pop up: fake coronavirus testing sites.
Report a fake testing site to your local police, the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov/complaint, and the BBB at www.bbb.org/scamtracker.
You can have your opinions about LaVar Ball, but he won. The Lakers drafted Lonzo Ball with the 2nd pick in the 2017 draft, LaMelo was picked by the Charlotte Hornets just last month, and now the Ball patriarch has successfully got his third son, LiAngelo, in the NBA as well. That's right- the middle […]
[Lesotho Times] The second phase of the government's mass Covid-19 vaccination programme is expected to begin today at Scott Hospital, Morija.
The COVID-19 surge in Gauteng is expected to peak from mid-August to early September.