Sculptor, Marion Perkins, died on 12/17/61. During the Depression of the thirties, Marion Perkins sold papers at a newsstand on Chicago's South Side. In his free moments at the stand he busied himself whittling on bars of soap. Peter Pollack, then director of the Community Art Center Division of the Illinois Art Project introduced Perkins to Si Gordon, a sculptor, who at the time was teaching at the South Side Community Art Center. Perkins work earned the recognition of the Rosenwald Foundation, and won the Art Institute of Chicago sculpture purchase prize of 1951.