The Elma Lewis School was established in 1950 to give expert training in the arts to children, youth, and adults. Its students have performed on Broadway and in symphony orchestras. During its 40 years of existence, the School has been producing professional artists and changing the quality of life for its community and students. Under the artistic direction of Elma Lewis, today it continues as the teaching arm of the National Center of African-American artists. The Center was founded in 1978 in Boston to compile, interpret, and disseminate the culture of African-American people as defined by their art product. It has become an institution for understanding the culture and visual arts heritage of Africans and people of African descent throughout the world.