Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
Three Caricom countries registered deaths from the coronavirus over the last 24 hours as regional countries continue to urge citizens to follow the health protocols and guidelines in a bid to curb the spread of the virus.
South Africa is one of the hardest-hit countries in Africa with over 740,000 infections.
The country recorded 60 more virus-related deaths on Wednesday, bringing the death toll to 20,011.
STATE minister for health and wellness Juliet Cuthbert Flynn says Jamaica is faced with a ballooning threat in non-communicable diseases (NCDs), which has taken on new dimensions with the emergence of the coronavirus pandemic.
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) The Trinidad and Tobago Government says it has no plans to rush towards reopening the borders of the country closed since March in a bid to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).Oppositions parties have been calling on Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley to indicate whether or not the borders would remain closed ahead of the August 10 general election.
NEW DELHI (AP) — India has reported 41,100 new cases of the coronavirus, raising the country's overall tally since the pandemic began to 8.79 million. The Health Ministry on Sunday also reported 447 deaths in the same period, driving total fatalities to 129,635. India is second in the world in total reported cases behind the U.S., but daily infections have been on the decline since the middle of September. There has been, however, a resurgence of infections in New Delhi, which has seen a renewed surge in recent weeks, recording more new cases than any other Indian state. On Sunday, […]
The post Asia Today: India reports 41,100 new coronavirus cases appeared first on Black News Channel.
MIAMI (May 27, 2020) – Caribbean food and beverage industry aficionados have been raising their glasses every Friday evening to toast the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association’s (CHTA) new “Limin’ wid Taste” expositions by some of the region’s leading mixologists.
Each Friday, CHTA’s Taste of the Caribbean judges unite to bring the hospitality industry and Caribbean enthusiasts together in a celebration of Caribbean flavors, creativity, showmanship, and passion.
The six-week series, which began earlier this month, is a virtual addition to the famed annual Taste of the Caribbean combined culinary competition, food and beverage educational exchange, and Caribbean cultural showcase, which the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) pandemic derailed this year.
“We’re very pleased with the reach of our Friday limin’ sessions along with the exchange between the panelists and the audience as it highlights Taste of the Caribbean’s role as a facilitator of professional development for the food and beverage community,” said Vanessa Ledesma, Chief Operations Officer of CHTA, who promised the association will carry on serving informative and educational tourism sessions for the industry.
On Friday, May 29, Caribbean Bartender of the Year Jurnick Merced of Curaçao will explore “Culinary Tourism”; on Friday, June 5, Shana Rajahram, the 2018 Hall of Famer from Trinidad and Tobago, will examine “The Role of Women in Mixology”; while Ira Claxton of the U.S. Virgin Islands will focus on “Developing your brand” to close out the series on June 12.
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) - Six defeated candidates in Monday's general election have filed requests for a recount of the votes cast further delaying the official announcement of the elections by the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC).On Monday night, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley said that his ruling People's National Movement (PNM) had been returned to office, winning 22 of the 41 seats in the Parliament.
Chief executive Johnny Grave has defended Cricket West Indies’ treatment of territorial boards, contending the governing body had been “equitable” in its allocation of international fixtures and financial resources.
Bath was born on November 4, 1942 in Harlem, New York to Rupert Bath, a Trinidadian immigrant and the first black motorman in the New York City subway system, and Gladys Rupert, a domestic worker.
Actor Geoffrey Holder was born on the island of Trinidad, British West Indies.
Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley yesterday announced August 10 as the date for the general election in Trinidad and Tobago, just under one month shy of the fifth anniversary when voters went to the polls on September 7, 2015, to elect his People's National Movement (PNM) to power.
The police have arrested a sixth suspect in connection with the gruesome murders of teenaged cousins Isiah and Joel Henry and the five others who were detained earlier this week were set to be released last evening.
The article Another suspect held over murder of Henry cousins appeared first on Stabroek News.
[Nation] At least five counties are facing fresh lockdowns to curb the spread of Covid-19, the Nation has established.
Two repatriation flights from Trinidad and Barbados yesterday brought home over 300 Guyanese nationals who were stranded abroad after borders were closed by governments to curb travel during the still-ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Director General of the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) Egbert Field last night told Stabroek News that the flights were facilitated by Caribbean Airlines and Eastern Airlines.
The Caribbean Airlines flight brought home 140 stranded Guyanese, both residents and students, from Barbados and Trini-dad, while the Eastern Airlines flight brought home the 180 stranded Royal Caribbean cruise line workers who were stuck onboard a ship which was docked off the coast of Barbados.
Before a flight is chartered, the GCAA must receive an approved list of names of persons who have tested negative for COVID-19 via Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests.
The National COVID-19 Task Force has so far approved the controlled re-entry of approximately 300 Guyanese through the nation’s international airports providing that they follow a series of guidelines, including securing a negative COVID-19 test using PCR testing and a mandatory seven-day quarantine.
Canadian-owned Scotia-bank announced yesterday that it has reached an agreement for the sale of its banking operations in Guyana to First Citizens Bank Limited of Trinidad and Tobago, a move that Minister with responsibility for Finance, Dr Ashni Singh labelled as “premature and inappropriate”.
The article Scotiabank announces sale of operations to Trinidad-based bank appeared first on Stabroek News.
[Nation] The Health ministry on Sunday announced 972 more Covid-19 cases in Kenya, raising the country's count since the first case in March to 70,245.
FOUR Jamaican missionaries stranded in Río Abajo, Panama, are seeking the Government's assistance to return to the island, as they struggle to stay afloat in the Spanish-speaking country despite support from the Jamaican consulate in Panama City.
Head of the group, Chief Apostle Winston Farquharson, who spoke on behalf of his colleagues — Ian Davis, Clive Levingston, and Tomika Brown — in a phone interview with the Jamaica Observer yesterday, said the group had initially planned on spending a month in Panama but had applied for a two-week extension to complete work.
Equally, he said that although the group has been given approval on the jamcovid website to return to Jamaica and members have return tickets, Copa Airlines, Panama's flag carrier, has reportedly said that unless the Jamaican Government reaches out and agrees to a relief flight it cannot assist the Jamaicans.
We have applied to the Jamaican Government and they said that it is okay for us to come, but Panama said that they have not gotten any confirmation from the Jamaican Government that they have agreed to a humanitarian flight.
Were it not for Judith Edwards, head of the Jamaica Consulate in Panama, Farquharson said, the group would have been homeless after they ran out of resources and money.
(Trinidad Express) A 35-year-old female police officer was granted $250,000 bail when she appeared before Justice of the Peace Stephen Young to answer five fraud charges.
The article Trinidad: Female cop on fraud charges for fake CXC certificate, worked for 4 years appeared first on Stabroek News.
The Guyana government and Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) are currently in discussions on the creation of more job opportunities for Guyanese with the airline as it seeks to tap into Guyana’s emerging oil and gas sector, Minister of Public Works Juan Edghill said yesterday.
The article Gov’t in negotiations with CAL on more jobs for Guyanese appeared first on Stabroek News.
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – FIFA has signaled it will defend itself against a legal challenge filed by the former executive of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), by filing an entry of appearance in the High Court here on Tuesday.
Ousted TTFA president William Wallace and his team, represented by Dr Emir Crowne and Matthew Gayle, are challenging FIFA’s decision to remove them and appoint a normalisation committee to run the association’s affairs.
The local football association is seeking the court’s intervention by way of a declaration that FIFA’s removal of the TTFA executive, which was elected to office on November 24, 2019, is null, void and of no legal and/or binding effect; a permanent injunction preventing FIFA from interfering in, and/or seeking to override the fair and transparent democratic processes of the TTFA and/or from attempting removing the duly elected executive from office; and a permanent injunction preventing FIFA and/or its agents and/or assigns and/or servants from interfering in the day-to-day management of the TTFA, including the association’s bank accounts and real property.
FIFA said it removed the executive because of mounting and potentially crippling debt, insisting that the local body faced “a very real risk of insolvency and illiquidity” and urgent action was required.
The TTFA stands to be suspended as a result of taking FIFA to the local courts, as Article 64 of the FIFA statutes prohibits member associations from taking internal disputes, or disputes affecting Leagues, members of Leagues, clubs, members of clubs, players, officials and other Association Officials to ordinary courts of law.
(Trinidad Express) Joanna Diaz Sanchez was one of thousands of Venezuelans who fled the economic crisis in the South American country and sought refuge in Trinidad and Tobago.
The article Trinidad: Venezuelan woman, 33, beaten while pregnant appeared first on Stabroek News.
(SportsMax) West Indies fast bowling great Andy Roberts believes Shimron Hetmyer erred when deciding to forego the West Indies tour of England.
Hetmyer, 23, seen as one of the rising stars in West Indies cricket, was among three players who opted out of the tour #RaisetheBat series, largely due to safety concerns.
Roberts, who was a member of a fearsome, four-pronged West Indies pace attack from the 1970s into the 1980s, believes the decision not to go was foolhardy.
He suggested that the tour to England was an opportunity to improve his batting.
“As much as we don’t like the way Hetmyer has been playing, he is one of the batsmen of the future.
On June 3, 2020, former Trinbago Knight Riders (TKR) captain Dwayne Bravo, in an interview with THE STAR, stated that none of the six Caribbean Premier League (CPL) teams will have an advantage with the Twenty20 tournament being staged exclusively in Trinidad and Tobago.
The article Franchises livid after local players allowed to train and play games in T&T appeared first on Stabroek News.
Jeanine Brandt from Palmiste, San Fernando has been crowned the new Miss Trinidad and Tobago. She will represent T&T at the Miss World pageant in December.
Barbados Tridents’ skipper Jason Holder is wary that the bench strength of his side will be tested more in the 2020 edition of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL).
The article Bench strength to be tested- Holder appeared first on Stabroek News.
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) National Security Minister Stuart Young yesterday described as carefully orchestrated and pre-planned the protests in the eastern part of the capital following the shooting deaths of three people by police over the weekend.
The Trinidad-based Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) has received a grant from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) to help in the response to the (COVID-19 pandemic and Guyana will be among the beneficiaries.
The grant, which was signed 5 June 2020 has been made available through the IDB Japan Special Fund.
A release yesterday from CARPHA said that the funds valued at US$750,000 will support the enhancement of Laboratory Res-ponse Capacity at CARPHA and strengthen real-time disease surveillance and response through the CARPHA Regional Travelers Health Program (THP) for all 26 of the Agency’s Member States.
In addition, it will bolster countries’ COVID-19 detection capacities in participating countries (Barbados, Belize, Guyana, Jamaica, and Trinidad and Tobago).
The Ministry of Foreign and Caricom Affairs in Trinidad & Tobago congratulated UWI Professor John Agard on his appointment as co-chair to the UN’s 2023 Global Sustainable Development Report team.
With the Caribbean widely believed to have been the hardest hit region by the still rampaging COVID-19 pandemic, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) late last week finalised a loan agreement with the Government of Trinidad and Tobago to provide funding for a social protection initiative targeting citizens most affected by the pandemic.
The US$25.5 million loan is, according to a regional media report, designed to ensure the maintenance of “basic quality of life standards for vulnerable persons in the immediate period and during the economic recovery of Trinidad and Tobago.”
The article T&T seals US$25.5M IDB COVID-19 social protection loan deal appeared first on Stabroek News.
Newly appointed captain of the Guyana Amazon Warriors, Chris Green, is excited to unleash on the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) Cricket West Indies Emerging Players signees, Ashmead Nedd and Kevin Sinclair.
The article Green anxious to ‘unleash’ Nedd, Sinclair on CPL appeared first on Stabroek News.