Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
Mozambique's President was welcomed Friday (Sep. 22) by the U.S. Secretary of Defense to discuss the nations' bilateral defence ties and security cooperation.
He replaces Debretsion Gebremichael, whose immunity from prosecution was removed Thursday.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International said Thursday that scores of civilians were killed in a \"massacre\" in the Tigray region, that witnesses blamed on forces backing the local ruling party.
The \"massacre\" is the first reported incident of large-scale civilian fatalities in a week-old conflict between the regional ruling party, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), and the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize.
\"Amnesty International can today confirm... that scores, and likely hundreds, of people were stabbed or hacked to death in Mai-Kadra (May Cadera) town in the southwest of Ethiopia's Tigray Region on the night of 9 November,\" the rights group said in a report.
Amnesty said it had \"digitally verified gruesome photographs and videos of bodies strewn across the town or being carried away on stretchers.\"
The dead \"had gaping wounds that appear to have been inflicted by sharp weapons such as knives and machetes,\" Amnesty said, citing witness accounts.
Witnesses said the attack was carried out by TPLF-aligned forces after a defeat at the hands of the Ethiopian military, though Amnesty said it \"has not been able to confirm who was responsible for the killings\".
It nonetheless called on TPLF commanders and officials to \"make clear to their forces and their supporters that deliberate attacks on civilians are absolutely prohibited and constitute war crimes\".
Abiy ordered military operations in Tigray on November 4, saying they were prompted by a TPLF attack on federal military camps -- a claim the party denies.
The region has been under a communications blackout ever since, making it difficult to verify competing claims on the ground.
Abiy said Thursday his army had made major gains in western Tigray.
Thousands of Ethiopians have fled across the border into neighboring Sudan, and the UN is sounding the alarm about a humanitarian crisis in Tigray.
“The people of this nation have spoken. They have delivered us a clear victory. … We have won with the most votes ever cast for a presidential ticket in the history of this nation…I pledge to be a president who seeks not to divide, but to unify. … Let this grim era of demonization in […]
The post A White House that calls on our better angels again appeared first on Florida Courier.
BY OLGA KHARIF AND TAKASHI MOCHIZUKI BLOOMBERG NEWS/TNS The $60 video game dates back to at least the 1990s. Rarely has a game exceeded that price threshold in the three decades since, even as inflation drove the dollar’s value to nearly half of what it was in the days of the Super Nintendo. This week, […]
The post Video game prices going up for first time in 15 years appeared first on Florida Courier.
On Election Day, activist Cori Bush, who was once beaten and tear-gassed by police while participating in protests in Ferguson,... View Article
The post Missouri Rep-elect Cori Bush wears Breonna Taylor mask to Congress, GOP colleagues think it's her name appeared first on TheGrio.
WASHINGTON, DC, United States (AFP) - Most Republican lawmakers have yet to acknowledge Joe Biden as America's next leader, a departure from political norms that suggests President Donald Trump retains an iron grip on his congressional flock.
The global pandemic has triggered a boom in reading, according to the president of the International Publishers Association.
Online sales of educational, fictional & children’s books have done particularly well in the past six months.
A sign of the times, many scheduled book events around the world have turned over a new leaf due to the global pandemic.
As in the emirate of Sharjah, which split its popular annual literary showcase, the Sharjah International Book Festival , into virtual and socially distanced activations this November.
As one of the world's largest book fairs, it featured 80,000 titles and a host of local writers, as well as international authors like Scottish crime writer Ian Rankin.
“Our slogan this year, ‘The World Reads from Sharjah’, means there is no border between us and the world,” His Excellency Ahmed Al Ameri, Chairman of the Sharjah Book Authority told Rebecca McLaughlin-Eastham of Inspire Middle East. “It is the first, physical book fair, to take place this year and seventy-three countries around the world are putting their trust in Sharjah, and the United Arab Emirates.”
Homegrown tomes
Dr. Rehab Alkilani speaks to Inspire Middle East
Zayed University lecturer and writer, Dr. Rehab Alkilani, who explores cultural issues through novels, children’s books & TV scripts, says her students are writing more than ever in lockdown.
“The crisis has helped many people,” the Emirati told Euronews. “It gave us time for ourselves, to sit & rethink what we want to do with projects. Time to think about the books that have been in our bookcases for a long time. And it’s given us time to read, research, write and rewrite.”
The published author & academic has clear advice for aspiring writers during this time:
“Read, read, read,\" she says. \"In fact, read a hundred books before you even write one. And read a ‘real’ book, not social media.”
Tasty leaves
With home-cooking on the rise around the world during the pandemic, recipe books have resurged in popularity.
One launch creating a buzz on social media is called, ‘ Craving Palestine ’, featuring more than 100 dishes by famous Palestinians.
Reality TV star & real estate mogul Mohamed Hadid, who is father of the models Bella, Gigi & Anwar Hadid, leapt at the chance to contribute to the charitable initiative.
Mohamed Hadid enjoys a Palestinian meal
His favourite dish is ‘kibbeh’, made up of bulgur wheat, pine nuts, beef mince and spices.
Despite it being much-loved and cooked a variety of ways across the Middle East region, Hadid is convinced the dish was “perfected” in his hometown.
“Especially in Palestine, they know that us Nazarethans have the best kibbeh. They know it,” he told Inspire.
As one of 8 children, Hadid inherited his passion for cooking from the matriarchs of his family, namely his mother & grandmother.
“What I love about our culture, is that my Mum, in her kitchen, she glued the whole family together.\" he reflected. \"That’s where we all came together, and everything happened.”
Model behaviour
T
… quilt panel. Her mother — an African-American woman named Luwana Daniels and … is the image of an African-American woman; it has an ethnic …
Three Guinean opposition figures surrendered to the police on Thursday after being put on a wanted list for their alleged role in post-election violence, one of their lawyers said.
Officers questioned Ousmane Gaoual Diallo, Abdoulaye Bah - both members of Guinea's leading opposition party, UFDG - and Etienne Soropogui separately, lawyer Salifou Beavogui said.
Police on Wednesday also arrested UFDG vice president Ibrahima Cherif Bah as part of a sweep targeting mainly opposition politicians and activists.
At a press conference on Thursday, opposition leader Cellou Diallo called for their immediate release.
The arrests came after President Alpha Conde, 82, won a controversial third term after topping an October 18 poll with 59.5 percent of the votes.
The country slipped into violence in the aftermath of the poll, when UFDG leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, 68, proclaimed himself victorious and alleged voter fraud.
The government said at least 21 people died in subsequent clashes between Diallo supporters and security forces. The UFDG party put the death toll at 46, however.
While observers from other African countries have backed the official election results, France, the European Union, and the United States have cast doubt.
In a statement on Tuesday, a public prosecutor in the capital Conakry said police had detained or tried 137 people.
It said police were actively searching for six people accused of having made \"threats likely to disturb public security and order\".
Ousmane Gaoual Diallo, Abdoulaye Bah, and Etienne Soropogui were among those six people. Only Soropogui, who is from a minor opposition party, is not a UFDG member.
Ibrahima Cherif Bah was also on the wanted list.
Political tension in Guinea centers on Conde's third term, against which there have been rolling protests since October 2019.
The president pushed through a new constitution in March which he argued would modernize the country. But it also allowed him to bypass a two-term limit for presidents.
A former opposition leader, Conde became Guinea's first democratically-elected president in 2010 and won re-election in 2015, but critics accuse him of veering towards authoritarianism.
The 1000 legal experts said it is an \"unprecedented moment\" in the US which must transcends partisanship.
Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said the economy as we knew it is a thing of the past as the coronavirus pandemic has changed the way we work
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -- A promising new coronavirus vaccine must be kept at Antarctic temperatures, raising concerns for delivery in Africa
By BRIAN MELLEY and AMY TAXIN Associated Press LOS ANGELES (AP) — A month ago, Antonio Gomez III was a healthy 46-year-old struggling like so many others to balance work and parenting during the coronavirus pandemic. This week, he's struggling to breathe after a three-week bout with the virus. Gomez said he let down his guard to see his parents and contracted one of the nearly 1 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 in California. For months, the virus has hammered the economy, disproportionately affected the poor and upended daily life — and now the state and the rest of the […]
The post Unwelcome milestone: California nears million COVID-19 cases appeared first on Black News Channel.
Good morning, California. It’s Thursday, November 12. Dwindling options Proposition 15 is dead — and with it, one of California’s few remaining hopes of infusing money into local governments and schools staring down massive deficits. The Associated Press called the race late Tuesday night with 51.8% of voters opposing and 48.2% supporting the campaign to […]
The post Two unappealing choices for Newsom, lawmakers appeared first on Black Voice News.
Salah endured an immediate backlash because of his complete rejection of social distancing protocols during the raucous scenes in Cairo.
WELLINGTON, (Reuters) - The West Indies cricket team have been cleared to leave their biosecure facility in Christchurch today after their third round of novel coronavirus tests were negative, New Zealand Cricket said yesterday.
The article Windies cleared to leave isolation in NZ after COVID-19 testing appeared first on Stabroek News.
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Women bear the brunt of digital abuse - threatened with rape and exploited for porn - as the coronavirus pandemic drives ever more people online, media experts said on Wednesday.
Taking Up Arms
A military operation has been launched by Morocco in the buffer zone of Guerguerat near Mauritania, as announced Friday.
The North African nation also denounced \"the provocations of the Polisario\" in Western Sahara — once a colony of Spain with a still undefined status. Classified as a \"non-autonomous territory\" by the United Nations (UN).
The aim of the ongoing operation is to \"put an end to the blockade situation\" and \"restore free civil and commercial movement\" on the road leading to Mauritania — whose existence is denounced by the Sahrawi independence fighters and which Rabat considers essential for its trade with sub-Saharan Africa.
For about three weeks, local sources claim militias of some 70 armed men have been \"attacking truckers, banning traffic and racketeering.\"
All this in spite of UN settlement efforts — as the organisation-led negotiations involving Morocco, the Polisario, Algeria and Mauritania have been suspended for several months.
Polisario in response has stated its Sahrawi troops will retaliate in self-defence in light of what it perceives as Morocco being \"aggressive\" and liquidating the 1991 cease-fire.
Background
The region of Guerguerat has already been at the centre of strong tensions between the Polisario and Morocco, particularly in early 2017. Morocco controls more than two-thirds of this vast desert territory in its western part, along the Atlantic Ocean and has seen friction for decades with the pro-independence Polisario Front supported by Algeria.
HAVANA, (Reuters) - As Latin American nations test experimental coronavirus vaccines from across the globe and economic heavyweights such as Brazil and Mexico jockey for supply deals with major drugmakers, Communist-run Cuba already has two of its own vaccines in clinical trials.
The article Cuba leads race for Latin American coronavirus vaccine appeared first on Stabroek News.
WASHINGTON, DC – NOVEMBER 12: Rain falls on the White Home 9 days after the presidential … [+] election November 12, 2020 in Washington, DC. (Photograph by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Photographs)…
By PAT EATON-ROBB Associated Press WEST HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Two workers were killed in an explosion Friday while repairing a steam pipe in a maintenance building at a Veterans Affairs hospital in Connecticut, officials said. Alfred Montoya Jr., director of the VA Connecticut Healthcare System, said the men were in the basement of the small outer building and had just finished routine maintenance on a leaky pipe. He said the explosion occurred just after 8 a.m. as the pipe was being refilled with steam. The names of those killed were not immediately released. One was a contractor and the […]
The post Explosion kills 2 steam pipe workers at veterans hospital appeared first on Black News Channel.
London - Despite the fact that the Los Angeles Dodgers won a World Series in Texas and the Los Angeles Lakers just won an NBA title in Florida, Brooklyn's Mike Tyson will soon fight what may be his final match in Los Angeles. Former heavyweight champions Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. vowed at an […]
By Stacy M. Brown, NNPA Newswire Senior National Correspondent Juan Williams posited that he’s a Black man born in a Latin country and grew up in a Spanish-speaking family. The author and Fox News political analyst then stated a head-scratching fact that many still find difficult to rationalize. “It stuns me to see that President Trump set a record last week by attracting the highest percentage of the non-white vote of any Republican presidential candidate in the last 60 years,” Williams wrote in an editorial for The Hill. Perhaps must stunning, lamented Williams, “How did 12 percent of Black men […]
The post ‘How Did 12 Percent of Black Men vote for Trump?’ appeared first on Black News Channel.
By Laurel Rosenhall, CALMatters California’s status has shifted dramatically with the election of Joe Biden as the next president. The reasons are both political — deep blue California will have more inroads to a White House controlled by Democrats — and personal: For just the second time in American history, a Californian will serve as […]
The post Home State Advantage: What a Vice President Kamala Harris means for California appeared first on Voice and Viewpoint.