Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
By SAMUEL PETREQUIN Associated Press BRUSSELS (AP) — Belgian authorities 'abandoned' thousands of elderly people who died in nursing homes during the coronavirus pandemic and did not seek hospital treatment for many who were infected, violating their human rights, Amnesty International said in an investigation published Monday. One of the hardest-hit countries in Europe, Belgium has reported more than 531,000 confirmed virus cases and more than 14,400 deaths linked to the coronavirus. During the first wave of the pandemic last spring, the European nation of 11.5 million people recorded a majority of its COVID-19-related deaths in nursing homes. Between March […]
The post Report: Belgian nursing homes failed patients amid pandemic appeared first on Black News Channel.
He replaces Debretsion Gebremichael, whose immunity from prosecution was removed Thursday.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International said Thursday that scores of civilians were killed in a \"massacre\" in the Tigray region, that witnesses blamed on forces backing the local ruling party.
The \"massacre\" is the first reported incident of large-scale civilian fatalities in a week-old conflict between the regional ruling party, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), and the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize.
\"Amnesty International can today confirm... that scores, and likely hundreds, of people were stabbed or hacked to death in Mai-Kadra (May Cadera) town in the southwest of Ethiopia's Tigray Region on the night of 9 November,\" the rights group said in a report.
Amnesty said it had \"digitally verified gruesome photographs and videos of bodies strewn across the town or being carried away on stretchers.\"
The dead \"had gaping wounds that appear to have been inflicted by sharp weapons such as knives and machetes,\" Amnesty said, citing witness accounts.
Witnesses said the attack was carried out by TPLF-aligned forces after a defeat at the hands of the Ethiopian military, though Amnesty said it \"has not been able to confirm who was responsible for the killings\".
It nonetheless called on TPLF commanders and officials to \"make clear to their forces and their supporters that deliberate attacks on civilians are absolutely prohibited and constitute war crimes\".
Abiy ordered military operations in Tigray on November 4, saying they were prompted by a TPLF attack on federal military camps -- a claim the party denies.
The region has been under a communications blackout ever since, making it difficult to verify competing claims on the ground.
Abiy said Thursday his army had made major gains in western Tigray.
Thousands of Ethiopians have fled across the border into neighboring Sudan, and the UN is sounding the alarm about a humanitarian crisis in Tigray.
Two residents of the Dadaab complex have tested positive for Covid-19, the United Nations refugee agency has announced.
“The crowded conditions in the Dadaab refugee camps, where health services are already under pressure, raise serious concerns about the vulnerability of over 217,000 refugees,” the UN agency said.
The two infected individuals in Dadaab have been sent to isolation centres and are in stable condition, said Eujin Byun, a spokeswoman for the UN High Commissioner for High Refugees.
Donations are lagging in response to the UN's appeal for $745 million to assist refugees around the world affected by Covid-19.
The UN's 2020 goal of $157 million in aid to refugees in Dadaab, Kakuma and Nairobi had reached the 21 percent mark as of May 15, the UN said.
Madagascar's government has announced it will dispatch troops and doctors to an eastern town after several bodies were found in the streets and where two people died from the novel coronavirus.
Madagascar's cabinet held a special meeting on Sunday to discuss the situation in Toamasina, the country's second largest city.
Since Thursday, more than 120 new cases were confirmed, and several bodies were found in the city's streets though the cause of death was not clear.
\"Doctors must carry out thorough examinations to see if these deaths are caused by another illness (...) or if they are really due to severe acute respiratory problems which is the critical form of Covid-19,\" Professor Hanta Marie Danielle Vololontiana, spokesperson for the government's virus taskforce, said in a national broadcast on Sunday.
The cabinet has also announced an investigation into the death of a doctor in Toamasina.
A post-mortem examination done on the body of the Tain Settlement pensioner Chandradarie Budhu has revealed that she was strangled and struck to the head by her attackers.
The autopsy report states that the woman died due to asphyxiation from ligament strangulation and also suffered blunt trauma to the head.
Budhu, 83, also known as ‘Aunty Deo,’ of Lot 83 Tain Settlement, Corentyne, was found murdered in her house on Wednesday morning during what appeared to be a robbery.
The pensioner’s house was ransacked.
by PublicSource Reporters The Allegheny County Health Department [ACHD] announced 180 new COVID-19 infections on Friday, marking another day of triple-digit daily increases in reported cases. Allegheny County’s total number of COVID-19 infections now stands at 4,547, and its newest cases are among patients ranging in age from 2 to 91 years old. The median Continued
The post Allegheny County reports 180 new COVID infections Friday; statewide eviction ban extended to Aug. 31 appeared first on New Pittsburgh Courier.
The PX3 State of the World 2020 photo competition in Paris has selected a number of powerful images, including the Hong Kong protests, the US-Mexico border issue and police brutality.
[WHO] Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.
A 55-year-old resident of Meadowbank, East Bank Demerara is now dead after a mining pit he was working in caved in on Monday at Black Water Backdam, Cuyuni River, Region Seven.
The article Meadowbank man dies after mining pit caves in appeared first on Stabroek News.
According to ClickOnDetroit.com, officials said Priscilla Slater, 38, was found unresponsive in a holding cell around 12:35 p.m. by Harper Woods Department of Public Safety personnel.
Slater was arrested on Tuesday after Harper Woods police said the man she was with fired 19 shots at a motel.
RELATED: Former Nightclub Worker Says George Floyd and Derek Chauvin Had Beef At Work
According to officials, medics attempted to revive Slater but were unsuccessful.
Harper Woods officials say the Michigan State Police are investigating the incident.
Protests, including several members of Slater's family, gathered outside Harper Woods City Hall on Friday (June 12) to confront the town's mayor Ken Poynter and demand justice.
A family in Khayelitsha, Cape Town, wants the police to explain why one of their family members, taken into custody on Monday, was found dead in a cell at Khayelitsha police station the next day.
\"We were told that the community has sorted him out and they took him to the police station,\" said Phumla Mnkulwa, a family member of the deceased.
The family says they went to Khayelitsha police station on Tuesday morning, but were told they will only see him on Wednesday, when he was to appear in the Khayelitsha Court.
READ | Man accused of beating girlfriend to death found dead in police cell
\"On Wednesday, we went to court.
On Thursday, GroundUp spoke to family members outside the Khayelitsha police station.
Less than 24 hours after news broke that a Black man, Robert Fuller, was found hanging from a tree in the Los Angeles suburb of Palmdale, California on June 12, local outlets are reporting that another Black man, Malcolm Harsch, was found dead in similar circumstances less than two weeks ago, on May 31.
Hanging from a tree is, of course, an image charged with the racist history of lynchings and that both men were found dead near city buildings — Robert Fuller, 24, near City Hall and Harsch, near the public library — is raising questions.
RELATED: Body Of Black Man Found Hanging From Tree Outside Of Los Angeles
A Change.org petition calling for an investigation into Harsch’s death topped 10,000 signatures by Sunday morning (June 14) and is rising rapidly.
After initially ruling Fuller’s death a suicide, L.A. Sheriff’s Capt. Ron Shaffer said homicide detectives were investigating the circumstances leading to his death to determine if foul play was involved, the Daily Press reports.
Harsch’s family members, like Fuller’s, also doubt he died by suicide.
(Trinidad Express) The search for 30-year-old Staton Octave has ended. He is dead.
The article Missing Trinidad bar operator found shot to death appeared first on Stabroek News.