Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
By The Associated Press undefined NEW YORK (AP) — 'Jeopardy!' record-holder Ken Jennings will be the first in a series of interim hosts replacing Alex Trebek when the show resumes production next Monday. Producers announced Monday that Jennings, who won 74 games in a row and claimed the show's 'Greatest of All Time' title in a competition last year, will host episodes that air in January. A long-term host to replace Trebek, who died of cancer on Nov. 8, will be named later. 'By bringing in familiar guest hosts for the foreseeable future, our goal is to create a sense […]
The post Champion Ken Jennings will be first interim 'Jeopardy!' host appeared first on Black News Channel.
\t While no one claimed responsibility for the attack, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif pointed the finger at Israel, calling the killing an act of ``\"state terror.''
\t ``Terrorists murdered an eminent Iranian scientist today. This cowardice _ with serious indications of Israeli role _ shows desperate warmongering of perpetrators,'' Zarif wrote on Twitter.
[Nation] Learning is yet to resume in three primary schools in Garbatulla, Isiolo County, due to insecurity, which has already claimed three lives in the past one month.
A U.S. Supreme Court ruling late Wednesday, Nov. 25, upholding certain rights to gather for
Immigration advocates want President-elect Joe Biden to do more than just restore DACA and are putting the pressure on him to make up for Obama's mistakes
Giving Thanks During These Days Of Change 2020 has been one for the books. No one could foreseen the year Tulsa and the world has experienced in the last year. While the argument could be made for us being stronger than we thought, there is evidence there are still pockets of stubborn ignorance to the […]
By ANGELA CHARLTON and THOMAS ADAMSON Associated Press PARIS (AP) — Tens of thousands of critics of a proposed security law that would restrict the filming of police officers protested across France on Saturday, and officers in Paris who were advised to behave responsibly during the demonstrations repeatedly fired tear gas to disperse rowdy protesters who set fire to France's central bank and threw paving stones. The mood was largely peaceful, however, as dozens of rallies took place against a provision of the law that would make it a crime to publish photos or video of on-duty police officers with […]
The post French protesters decry bill outlawing use of police images appeared first on Black News Channel.
[IPS] Johannesburg, South Africa -- Japan should step up and play a role as a global facilitator for equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines, Dr Daisaku Higashi said at a recent Japan Parliamentarians Federation for Population (JPFP) study meeting.
Chae’Meshia Simms, a Black transgender woman in Richmond, Virginia, has become the 39th trans person to be killed in 2020.
[This Day] -Says news network exhibiting panic by seeking to clarify its tweet 35 days after
By MARYCLAIRE DALE Associated Press PHILADELPHIA (AP) — President Donald Trump's legal team suffered yet another defeat in court Friday as a federal appeals court in Philadelphia roundly rejected the campaign's latest effort to challenge the state's election results. Trump's lawyers vowed to appeal to the Supreme Court despite the judges' assessment that the 'campaign's claims have no merit.' 'Free, fair elections are the lifeblood of our democracy. Charges of unfairness are serious. But calling an election unfair does not make it so. Charges require specific allegations and then proof. We have neither here,' 3rd Circuit Judge Stephanos Bibas wrote […]
The post Appeals court rejects Trump challenge of Pennsylvania race appeared first on Black News Channel.
GOVERNMENT and stakeholders must collaborate in adopting the recently launched International Telecommunications union (ITU) child online protection guidelines to guarantee child online protection as children become more vulnerable in the use of digital media. BY HARRIET CHIKANDIWA Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (Potraz) director-general Gift Machengete made the call in his speech read on his behalf by the regulatory authority’s head of consumer affairs and publicity, George Manyaya, at the Childline Online Safety Guidelines launch yesterday. Machengete said children had become exposed to digital media due to circumstances including the COVID-19 induced lockdown that has necessitated e-learning, hence the need for parents and stakeholders to be vigilant in ensuring their safety. “How can we ensure an effective child protection system in Zimbabwe? “It is now the right time Zimbabwe starts reflecting on the need to come up with standalone legislation on child online protection,” Machengete said. “As the regulator of the telecommunications sector, we will be leading all stakeholders in adopting the comprehensive ITU child online protection guidelines and an aggressive campaign will be conducted in schools and communities across the country.” He added: “The internet has transformed how we live. “It is entirely integrated into the lives of children and young people, making it impossible to consider the physical and digital worlds separately.” At least one-third of all internet users today are children and young people with Unicef estimating that 71% of young people are already online. Machengete said as a result of the COVID-19 induced lockdown, most children are spending time online where there encounter all sorts of challenges including cyberbullying and pornography that needs a hands-on approach by parents to overcome. “While the internet has brought about convenience owing to rapid digital transformation, it has also brought about a plethora of challenges. “Children are exposed to various vulnerabilities and there has been an increase in the misuse of technology. “Several children are accessing various sites even without their parents’ consent. “We are providing these gadgets to children but they are accessing sites like Tinder, house party, Instagram, Facebook and Tik Tok without their parents’ or guardians’ consent.” He said issues of cyberbullying were also rampant while most children were also engaging in sexting and pornography despite glaring effects to their lives. “Some are sending too many pictures online for example on Tik Tok and Facebook, exposing themselves and their families.” The International Telecommunications Union (ITU), Machengete said, was in the process of adopting the Child Online Protection Guidelines as part of its quest to ensure maximum protection of children online. He said the issue of children online protection was a collective responsibility hence parents; guardians, government non-governmental organisations and other stakeholders should play a part as chil
THE awarding of licences to six national free-to-air commercial television broadcasting stations last week was received with mixed feelings by Zimbabweans. Many hailed the momentous occasion as unparalled developed since 1890, some simply as an incremental gain and a significant group remained indifferent to the development. Paidamoyo Muzulu The Broadcasting Services Act created a three-tier broadcasting services — public broadcasting, commercial private broadcasting and community broadcasting. Despite the existence of the three-tier broadcasting service models, Zimbabwe, since the 1960s when it started broadcasting, entrenched State/public broadcasting model through the statutes. The State broadcasting monopoly just like telephone services monopoly was cast in law, State monopoly over telecommunications and broadcasting was established through the Posts and Telecommunications Corporation (PTC) Act and Rhodesia Broadcasting Corporation (RBC) Act. The State knew best and was the only vehicle to deliver what the people wanted without pursuing commercial/profit interest. The State monopoly was broken in six short years between 1994 and 2000. Chief Justice Antony Gubbay in two seminal judgments — Econet constitutional challenge against PTC Act as ultra vires the right to freedom of information and Capital Radio challenge of the Broadcasting Act that it infringed the right to freedom of information — broke the State’s monopoly over the airwaves. Despite the two landmark decisions by the Constitutional Court, the monopoly was not immediately broken. Econet was only licensed through a Supreme Court order in 1998, four years after it had won its case against State-sanctioned monopoly as unconstitutional. On the other hand, Capital Radio never got the chance to officially broadcast as there was no enabling Act that allowed licensing of private players. The law — Broadcasting Services Act — was only enacted in 2002, but the Broadcasting Authority of Zimbabwe board was only put in place years later and took its time to invite applications for licences. It is interesting that the two constitutional challenges were launched by private entities in pursuit of profits. The companies wanted to make money for their investors or shareholders, not offering public services to citizens. This was merely commodification of a public good — the broadcasting spectrum. I know many would ask why I included the Econet case about broadcasting. This was deliberate since telecommunications since the 1990s have become an integral part of broadcasting through new information communication technologies (ICT). Imagine the use of mobile smartphones to livestream events using social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. In other words, the broadcasting industry has been revolutionarising without regulations and the State was playing catch-up. The licensing of private players was long over due considering Zimbabwe was the second country in sub-Saharan Africa to have a national television station after Nigeria. Yes, Zimbabwe had television
Breast cancer survivor Hygena Reid (second right) elbow bumps Shullian Brown, Jamaica Cancer Society fund-raising officer, while accepting her Sagicor Foundation mask and bag at the Virtual Keeping Abreast Luncheon held on October 29. Looking on are Jamaica Reach to Recovery members Eugenie Ffrench (left) and Theresa Parkes. The event was the cancer society's premi�re fund-raiser.�
… will formally become the first Black American to become a cardinal this … left and the rest were African American students."
Gregory's …
… sided with, how they policed African Americans.”
That history is what law … the Civil War that limited African American freedoms.
“When the genesis of … they policed, why wouldn’t African American distrust law enforcement?” Levitt said …
“Because of the racial inequities we have built into our essential systems, they have become combustion engines of misery. The virus flows freely in high-risk areas like holding cells, police encounters, low-wage workplaces, and public transit. The pistons of residential segregation, generational poverty, and targeted disinvestment along racial lines apply pressure … We can only […]
The post A coalition of Black medical professionals work to ensure COVID-19 vaccine is safe and equitably distributed appeared first on Carolina Peacemaker.
With close to over $13 million unaccounted for by the Amalgamated Transport & General Workers Coopera-tive Credit Union, the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) has been asked to execute a probe of suspicious transactions at the request of the Ministry of Labour, Minister Joseph Hamilton announced yesterday.
The article Audit reveals millions missing from credit union accounts appeared first on Stabroek News.
Data compiled by Johns Hopkins University shows that the United States has now recorded more than 13 million coronavirus cases, and almost 265,000 deaths. This is significant. The nation is now adding around 1 million new cases per week ― an especially alarming reality since millions of Americans traveled for Thanksgiving despite the urgings of public health experts […]
The post U.S. Coronavirus Cases Race Past 13 Million Heading Towards Holidays appeared first on The Orlando Advocate.
A team of UCLA researchers has developed a method to identify those most at risk of the coronavirus pandemic in an attempt to guide public policy related to the control and prevention of COVID-19.
[Nairobi News] Former Gor Mahia Organising Secretary Judith 'Nyangi' Anyango has spilled the beans on why the cash-strapped club failed to travel to Kigali on Wednesday for a preliminary Caf Champions League match against APR.
Photo credits: London Records Archives Gloria Davy, a rich-voiced soprano who “sang for the sheer joy of singing” had a four-decade career as a concert singer. Early in her career, she replaced Leontyne Price as Bess in the 1954 international tour of Porgy and Bess. In 1958 she broke color barriers when she was chosen for […]
Press Release - Innovative aeroponic systems help tackle some traditional challenges for agriculture
With only 18 active novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases remaining in St.
The article St. Cuthbert’s lockdown ends today appeared first on Stabroek News.
By MITCH STACY AP Sports Writer COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio State officials say they are unsure when the team can practice again, let alone play next week at Michigan State, after an outbreak of COVID-19 put the third-ranked Buckeyes' Big Ten title hopes in danger. 'I have no clue what this afternoon or tomorrow will bring or next week will bring,' athletic director Gene Smith said Saturday. Three more college football games across the country were canceled or postponed Saturday, including Florida State hosting Virginia. For the second straight week, the Seminoles had their home game called off hours […]
The post COVID outbreak may put season in jeopardy for No. 3 Ohio St appeared first on Black News Channel.
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) has agreed to respond to the Islamist insurgency ravaging areas in northern Mozambique. Five presidents who attended an extraordinary summit in the Botswana capital Gaborone, have \"finalized a comprehensive regional response\" to the unrest in Mozambique, according to a SADC communiqué.
The jihadists, who have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, have been active for three years in the Cabo Delgado region of Mozambique. They attack villages to sow terror and try to establish a caliphate.
Attacks, including the killing of civilians and clashes with security forces in various parts of Cabo Delgado province, have increased in recent weeks.
The UN considers the human rights situation \"increasingly alarming\".
According to the United Nations and NGOs, the crisis has already caused, more than 2,000 deaths, over half of them civilians, and 350,000 displaced persons, in a strategic region for the exploitation of huge gas reserves. The southern African nation relies on the gas reserves to increase its income and become one of the world's main exporters.
The presidents of Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, South Africa and Zimbabwe attended the meeting. Tanzania was represented by its Vice President and Mozambique by its Minister of Defense.
Last week, Mozambique and neighboring Tanzania signed an agreement to fight jihadists locally known as Al-Shabab, meaning the ‘’youth’’ in Arabic.
Gauteng Premier David Makhura has warned residents to be wary of a possible second Covid-19 surge in January, when people return home from the festive season.
NETONE acting chief executive Chipo Jaisson stepped down this week after leading the country’s second largest mobile telecommunications company for nine months. BY PRIMROSE HAISA In an internal circular to employees this week, Jaisson who reverts back to her previous position as head of finance, cited personal reasons. “I am stepping down due to family commitments. Thank you very much for the tremendous support you gave me during my nine months tenure,” she said. IT specialist Raphael Mushanawani, who was the acting chief technology officer, has now taken over as acting CE. During Jaisson’s tenure, NetOne was the only mobile operator which increased market share, according to the recently released second quarter report by the regulator, from 24,2%% to 25,8% in the three months to June. NetOne has in recent years been hit by boardroom squabbles. Resignations of board members and firing of senior managers have dominated events at the institution while the substantive chief executive Lazarus Muchenje is on suspension with a court case pending.