First Baptist Church in St. Louis, founded as First African Baptist Church, is the oldest continuously operating black church in Missouri. The precursor to the church was founded by John Peck and James Welch, two white Baptist missionaries sent west in 1817 by the Baptist Triennial Missionary Convention to establish churches and schools for Native Americans. Upon reaching Missouri Peck and Welch identified a need for a place of worship for black slaves and set aside a piece of their emerging mission for a “Sabbath School for Negroes.” The school began with only 14 pupils but increased its attendance to 100 within two months.
John Berry Meachum, a free black Missouri Territory resident, began assisting Peck and Welch in 1821. Meachum had been born a slave in Virginia but earned enough money working with his owner in Kentucky to purchase freedom for himself, his parents, and his siblings. Meachum married an enslaved Kentucky woman and followed her to St. Louis when she was taken there. A skilled carpenter, Meachum was soon able to purchase his wife and children. In addition to his carpentry, Meachum developed his preaching skills with the help of Peck. After being ordained in 1825, Meachum established First African Baptist in 1827 and ceased the formal connection with Peck’s mission. Two years later, Meachum purchased a plot in St. Louis and built the first church building. By this time, more than 220 people were in the First African Baptist’s congregation including at least 200 enslaved people who attended with the permission of their owners. By the mid-1840s the church would have over 500 congregants.
First African Baptist, and its pastor, attended to the spiritual needs of the congregation but helped to improve life for African Americans in St. Louis in a number of ways. While preaching, Meachum continued to operate several businesses. This allowed him to accumulate enough wealth to purchase roughly 20 slaves, train them, and give them their freedom. The Meachum home also served as a stop on the